Saturday, August 15, 2009

I think the hardest part of writing is revising


And by that I mean the following: A novelist has to create the piece of marble and then chip away to find the figure in it. Chaim Potok



This is so where I am right now! I came up with a(n almost) finished first draft of a new story. Even have an awesome title already laid out. I brainstormed with my buddy and now- now! It’s not coming out like I want it to. I have my marble, I do! But I just can’t see the figure in it!


So what do you do? When you’re stuck and for the life of you can’t figure out how to turn your block into a beautifully sculpted piece of art? Share. Please. I need to know I’m not alone.

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Chelle,

    You are not alone my dear. Every writer struggles with what you're dealing with. Those hundreds of pages containing our words are our babies.

    But...

    With the good, comes the bad. One bad apple can ruin the bunch.

    My advice would be to put your work away for a few weeks. Don't look at it, don't work on it, don't even think about it. Come back to it with a fresh pair of eyes.

    Pretty soon, you'll start chopping away, making it BETTER. I promise.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete